Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Frame Fitting option to keep content centered

Add a setting in Frame Fitting Options to automatically keep content centered, even after changing the content and updating the link.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a “floating” option to anchor frames

It would be wonderful if InDesign could have a “floating” option for anchored frames the way that FrameMaker does: it allows one to define that, for example, an anchored frame would always be in the upper right corner of the page where the text flows that contains the anchor.
    As it is now, if text is added above, the anchored frame moves down with the text, and if it hits the bottom margin, then text wraps to the next page without filling the previous page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Replace the startup panel

PLease replace the awful startup panel that looks like someone had a mental breakdown, spilling derangement over the screen in gaudy black and violet.. unbelievable that anyone could imagine this would be attractive. Luckily I mostly don't see it as my computer opens before I arrive, but every time I do I feel I want to immediately quit the program.. and send a report to you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add more paragraph rule design options

I would be nice to have more creative options in paragraph rule designs. In the 15 years I've used InDesign, the rule design options have not changed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Blending mode shortcut

Its been so many years since blending mode exist… and InDesign still not support shortcut for them, when PS & AI all have many ways to customise them already… In InDesign, there's just no way to even add a shortcut for them. the only fast way to sort of fast skimming them is by hovering mouse on the blend mode name, but this is not very precise and not very easy to control, not to mention it creates a lot of history step to undo (which is another bug: if you scroll all the way up and selected luminosity, keep…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Offset path

iD : Fr : Offset path
    I found myself stuck by wanting to make a simple offset path inside inDesign. This seems to HAVE to be DONE in Illustrator.
    Bad thing about that is that if I have to go back and forth between both, I’ll have to place it correctly, when it should be a simple value in any unit to enter.

Some have explored the need for that as a script :
    https://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-cad-tool.php

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. InDesign CC (2019) Formfield Properties

while using formfields it is now available to choose the "font-type"

it would be great if we could also choose the "alignment".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. fitting content proportionally in a picture boxed

I have four picture boxes that are grouped and I want to be able to auto fit or fill content to frame proportionally.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Possibility to remap ALT Mouse Wheel for ZOOM

I do not find possibility to change ALT Mouse Wheel (for zooming). I prefer just Mouse Wheel to zoom (without ALT).
    Or at least to get rid of ALT, because it can be overtaken by OS for other tasks (in my case).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Blurring part or full of an image for better readability

for some cowed images that we have to use it needs to blur some part of an image and for that we need to go to in photoshop and blur that image and come back to InDesign
    why you not adding an option into blurring part an image or whole of it

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Find / Replace

I am a QuarkXPress convert to InDesign and I am loving the app for all of its '******' abilities when constructing layouts.
    However - making global changes and adaptation to text and graphics using the Find/Replace function is way too confusing. This is something that was so easy to use in QuarkXPress and highly intuitive. Personally I would love that sort of functionality ease to brought in to ID.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Reset Bounding Box Menu Item

In my workflow, I need to export JPGs from Indesign by selection quite often. If the bounding box is rotated, it creates excess space around the graphic when exported. It would be very useful and time-saving if there was a menu item to "Reset Bounding Box" similar to Illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Removal of direct selection function in images

Hi,
    it would be possible to disable the moving of an image when I select the central point (it automatically activates the direct selection) and this is very annoying.

sorry for the english, but I used the google translator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Removal of direct selection function in images

Hi,
    it would be possible to disable the moving of an image when I select the central point (it automatically activates the direct selection) and this is very annoying.

sorry for the english, but I used the google translator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Smart objects

Please include smart objects (eg Indesign pages in indesign pages) like Photoshop, illustrator, sketch, XPress and ALL modern design apps. Also add unlinking objects and applying effects and styles on smart objects.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Pathfinder operations working on open paths

Pathfinder should work with open paths. That would make it easy to cut a number of open paths to form. Can be very performant for preparing threaded text paths for curved prints like adhesive labels, stickers or price labels where text must follow the outer shapes.

Alternatively: Allow text wrapping with text on text paths!

Best,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Open Office files to be imported

Open office is a popular format but indesign doesn't have a filter to let them be imported. All our contributors use Open Office but the only way I can import them is to open them up, copy and paste - and lose all formatting. Not EVERYTHING has to revolve around Microsoft, surely?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add double align tool

Often I find myself needing to align an object to both vertical AND horizontal centers of an object (for example, an icon in a box, or a number in a circle). It would be great to have one button that will align both vertically AND horizontally at once. This would allow me to set a shortcut and knock out work more quickly!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Grouped items revert to previous layers when moved then ungrouped

InDesign CC 13.1, Windows 10

When I have a group that contains items from various layers, and I move this to a new layer, when I ungroup those items they revert back to their original layers.

I understand the concept that grouping remembers layers, and I like this feature! It used to bug me that grouping brought everything onto the same layer, sometimes altering the appearance. However this seems like an unintended consequence.

Say I have an item on Layer 1 and an item above it on Layer 2. Grouping these items makes them both "appear" to be on Layer…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't include title in table of contents

It is not always preferable to include a title with a table of content. Up till now it is not possible to choose if you need the title yes or no. So it is always placed and has to be removed every time one updates the TOC. Please add a checkbox to place the title or not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base