Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign Dimmable Layers

I think it would be great if we could have an option to dim a layer similar to Illustrator. I think it would be a benefit when aligning elements above a background layer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Center-point auto-selected when rotating images in a content frame

I want this to be something I can set in InDesign with my workspace. If it isn't automatically set to centerm then allow me to change the preferences for the whole program.

I make manuals that require six photos a page, and I am always having to select the center point square in the rotation toolbar.

I would like the option for this to be my default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Give more design-controls to initials

Please more settings for initials in layouts. More precise distances, shading, coloring etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Split and even out footnotes in a two column layout

We work on academic books, and academics love footnotes. When working with a two-column layout, the footnotes of each column appear at the bottom of that column. So far so good. But when there are a lot of footnotes things get messy, one column can be 50% filled with footnotes and the column next to it can have only 1-2 lines of footnotes (or even none). This doesn't look particularly nice.

We are wondering if there is a way to even them out?

I know it is possible to set the footnotes in one-column, but that doesn't look good. Would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Image Captions correctly (numerically) ordered in TOC

Currently it appears that numbered image captions that are anchored in text frames are sorted in a TOC according to location from left to right on a page regardless of image number ordering (ie logical numbered order of images may not be correctly sorted in the TOC. I would like to see the images sorted with reference to the 'logical' (numerical) order of the text anchors when the image caption text frames are anchored into a page text frame.
    see pics: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6fmkf9iy4fwg9t/Image%20caption%20order%20on%20page%2031.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2pjyrautmsnxbu/Figure%20TOC%20order%20incorrect.PNG?dl=0
    This will provide flexibility to locate image captions anywhere on the page while maintaining logical order of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. History and Layer Linking

Add a history palette, as well as, the ability to link items in the layers palette like Photoshop does.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Effects styles similar to Photoshop?

For example, I have a better looking set of values for drop shadows besides the default. However I have to manually enter these in every time, no way to save them as a preset. It would be nice to at least be able to copy the saved style preset from an object to another, similar to the way you can in Photoshop.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring master page "to front"

I wanted to know if there's a way to use the auto page number feature on top of images. I'm creating a children's book that has images on all the pages. I want to number the pages, but since it sits on the master page, it's always behind the images. Is there a way to bring master page items to the front without breaking the link to their auto-ness?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update the QR Code dialog box

The current QR Code dialog box has options for very basic QR codes, but does not take into account recent improvements and developments for the QR Code syntax. It would be great if the dialog could also include options for calendar events, map coordinates, etc (syntax can be found at https://github.com/zxing/zxing/wiki/Barcode-Contents)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Blending mode shortcut

Its been so many years since blending mode exist… and InDesign still not support shortcut for them, when PS & AI all have many ways to customise them already… In InDesign, there's just no way to even add a shortcut for them. the only fast way to sort of fast skimming them is by hovering mouse on the blend mode name, but this is not very precise and not very easy to control, not to mention it creates a lot of history step to undo (which is another bug: if you scroll all the way up and selected luminosity, keep…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Create advanced graphs and charts inside Indesign

We really need a good and advanced tool for creating graphs and charts inside InDesign. A tool where we can edit what the X and Y axis contain and the ability to custom design of every part of the graph/chart. Maybe also make it work and link with illustrator, because the Illustrator graphs and charts tools REALLY needs updating. It's like these features have been completely neglected for years.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Adjust Layout - Columns change no longer works.

In older versions of InDesign, if you had Adjust Layout on, and changed the columns, the content of the page would adjust. Now if you change the column amount, Adjust Layout turns off. Please bring back the old feature, the new way and work around is terrible and also defeats the function of Master Pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Importing raw files

If importing feature raw files will possible, Photographers and layout artists are be happy for a very long time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Place > (Show Import Options)

I use this feature daily and would so prefer to use my keyboard arrow keys to cycle through the image thumbnails than the tiny dialogue box arrows.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Possibility to remap ALT Mouse Wheel for ZOOM

I do not find possibility to change ALT Mouse Wheel (for zooming). I prefer just Mouse Wheel to zoom (without ALT).
    Or at least to get rid of ALT, because it can be overtaken by OS for other tasks (in my case).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Stroke weight should not factor into scale of object.

This should work more like Illustrator, where PATHS determine size and snapping

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allowing 2-automatic page numbers/per page.

I work on proposals and we are usually limited to the number of pages within the document. It is often stated, that when we use an 11x17 page, this page counts as two pages in the proposal. It would be an amazing new feature if you could set up the option to have an additional automatic page number for these cases. Perhaps you could have an option to insert a second automatic page number on the master, or a feature that skips a number, starting the next 8.5x11 spread on the proper page number after counting the 11x17 as 2…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Adjust layout won't adjust line weight/thickness

Version: InDesign CC2019
    Steps to reproduce: using "Adjust layout"
    Expected result: a correct result!
    Actual result: adjust layout don't adjust line weight/thickness

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Smart objects

Please include smart objects (eg Indesign pages in indesign pages) like Photoshop, illustrator, sketch, XPress and ALL modern design apps. Also add unlinking objects and applying effects and styles on smart objects.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base