Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Intelligent color bleeding

Unless I am very wrong there's no option to Authomatically extend colours for the bleeding.

Of course to print and crop is necessary to add bleed and that involves placing images or extending them out of the margin.
    How is it possible, coming from the company of photoshop, that a function so simple, yet so important is not possible in indesign? It's as easy as extending any color touching the margins of the document to the bleed: copying pixel color information perpendicular to the document.

Of course the possibility of doing it manually should stay, but this feature is a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Now we have 'borders' and 'shading', can we have the ability to have transparencies on these?

Now that we have Borders and Shading, can we have the ability to have transparencies on these? Please?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Provide visual feedback when dragging items between layers

At the moment when you drag the box from one layer to another you can't see if you've grabbed it until you let it go. It can be fiddly sometimes to select it because it's quite small, so the dot becoming "live" and moving as you drag it would be a real help.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. When flipping a path, being able to remove the flip attribute without actually Flipping so that type on path can be utilized without the fli

When flipping a path, being able to remove the flip attribute without actually Flipping so that type on path can be utilized without the flip

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bleeds for Size and Position Options feature

Add the option to enter a negative number in the new Size and Position options feature so a photo can be placed with bleeds. (i.e. x=-.125")

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Pattern support

I am surprised pattern support has not arrived for InDesign yet. I would like to be able to pick a repeating pattern or drop a png of a pattern in and select to repeat it vertically and/or horizontally within a frame.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add default to embed instead of link images

Be able to have a default setting to embed instead of link images. Good for publications with lots of small infographics.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Consistent tool bars

Could you please place all the common tools in the same place in each program?

And when a number of degrees is typed for an object to rotate, could every program rotate the same direction please? E.g., Ill and INDD rotate clockwise while Pshop rotates counterclockwise. That makes no sense. Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Break Footnotes Marker

If long footnotes breaks on two pages autoinsert some symbol on end of first part and some symbol on the beginning of the second part. Would also be nice to have the possibility to choose a glyph for these markers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Max size in Text Frame options.

Why is there a minimum size for text frames, but not a maximum size. We use Auto-size combined with text-wrap a lot with liquid layout templates to allow text to adapt to it's new sizes/dimensions. Occasionally it would be great if we could build a maximum size that the text box can grow too instead of giving it the minimum size.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Inline graphic text wrap

I'm a long time InDesign user but am baffled by the inline graphic options currently offered. That ID ignores text wrap settings of the pasted graphic is counter-intuitive, the need to place a paragraph causes unwanted spaces between paragraphs (should the graphic not extend to the full width of the text block), and the visual "anchor object" and "anchor position" options has the graphic jump all over the place without reflecting the usual anchor point behavior I expect. Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Implement Funktion "Start-Stop-Pinging"

While working in a LAN (2ms Ping) or WAN (20ms Ping) with linked content on exhouse Servers, InDesign is getting very very slow.
    Reason is the permanent pinging to the linked files "R U still alive?" which the user cannot stop.

It would save hours of time and tons of nerves each week, if user could easily switch-on and switch-off the ping manually - e.g. like the preflight. While saving, printing or exporting the file the ping should be activated automatically, to inform the user about any changes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Auto shifting groups

I often do a catalog that includes hundreds of items arranged in alpha order; each of which includes an image and two text boxes. Of course, at the last minute the client will add a few more and every every item/group must be moved further along to accommodate them. Let's say I add three new ones beginning with the letter A; Now all the groups must be moved three places further along, line by line page by page.. very tedious and time consuming. But what if there were a way that they could all be set to shift automatically the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hiding objects then showing them again keeps them highlighted like in Illustrator

I suggested this years ago but I think it would be useful to be able to select objects and hide them then by showing them again for them to stay highlighted. This is how the feature works in Illustrator and I use it all the time. It would be really good if it worked the same way in Illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Repeat Grid

I'd love to see the Adobe XD Repeat Grid function redeveloped into InDesign. This would be invaluable to many publication designers that have repetitive layouts. Master Pages are great, but I think if it incorporated the repeat grid, it would increase workflow efficiency.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show at least some info about an object when cursor hovers over it

I used to use a plug-in that showed me info about any object on the page if I clicked it. That plugin hasn't worked for me in years, so I'm stuck opening and closing the Links panel all the time. I'd like ID to show me some info about objects just by hovering over them (like it instantly shows the grabber when you mouse over an image). Doesn't have to be everything that's shown in the link info. Could just be simple stuff, like dimensions, actual and effective resolution, file name. Or the user could choose from the same choices…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Text in Circle

Text ist Never in the horizon middle while using diffeent font sizes in the same Circle. I have always make a Circle and Text o top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add the ability to 'warp' live text

We do the vast majority of our designing in InDesign, so having to go to Illustrator to manipulate text is quite a disconnect to the workflow.

Unless you take the entire layout to Illustrator it is hard to get the text 'warp' accurate to your layout. It involves too much trial and error jumping between the programmes.

We know Illustrator is very capable, but so is InDesign. In fact some of the vector drawing tools in InDesign are far better designed than Illustrators equaivalents - so much so that it is often easier to create artwork entirely in InDesign.

Thanks!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add/Improve more features of Liquid Layout

Liquid layout has been around for ages, but there are no new developments. It would be good if you could link two elements together. i.e. a text box with an image box so that as artworks grow or shrink, the relationship between the two elements work in conjunction with each other, I know Chilli have taken the liquid layout concept and enhanced it on their web2print platform.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Cannot paste grouped object into graphic cell - when could previously.

Adobe InDesign CC, 2017.1 Release
    Version 12.1.0.56 x 64 build

I used to be able to paste a grouped object (for example, an image with a bit of text overlayed on it) into a graphic cell in a table. Currently this is not working - I can put a regular image (just a linked image) into a graphic cell, but as soon as I try to "paste into" a copied grouped object, it does not even offer paste into as an option.

This issue is present in tables used by multiple users in different files - not a bug in…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base