1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

709 results found

1. Make GREP dot (Any Character) match Footnote Reference marker.

Make the GREP dot (Any Character) match ~F (Footnote Reference marker).

There is no reason that a query like .+ would stop when reaching a footnote marker. This should select the entire paragraph. This behaviour have been in InDesign forever and should be changed.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow to use a footnote multiple times on one page

I'm working with tech documents and spec lists that often have one footnote applying for several items like:

Item A
    Item B (footnote 1)
    Item C (footnote 2)
    Item D (footnote 1)
    Item E (footnote 3)

Instead of having footnote 1 listed twice (which looks very odd and consumes space), it would be awesome to have some slick way to deal with this without the need of working with crossreferences and alike.

I'm aware of adding a superscript 1 for the second appearance but it doesn't automatically counts up when adding a new footnote prior to the automatic footnote.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Change case Find/Replace dialog

It would fantastic to force Lower case/Upper case/Title case/Sentence case by Text or GREP pattern in Find/Change dialog.
    Also would be very useful including this into GREP style.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to create a master text file that updates everywhere the content is used, much like DocsFlow or WordsFlow, but better.

I am constantly making catalogs and the proofing process is arduous because we always have to read through text to check for spelling errors, grammar mistakes, etc. If there was a way to create one Master text file (whether it’s an InDesign, Word, Excel doc, etc) and link it to any document, have one or more people edit it, have it update across the board and not override any local changes would be fantastic. Now, I know there are extensions you can use, such as DocsFlow and WordFlow, but the problem with these is that you cannot choose specific text…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Create the condition from a list of paragraphs/character styles

Ability to create the new condition form a list of paragraph style or character styles
    I would improve the ability to search on more than 1 paragraph/character style at once.

Sometimes you have to search more than one style – rather than go through each style at once, the ability to create a condition to select a range of styles would be useful.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Threaded Text in Tables

This feature will allow text threading via table cells to flow the text across the table.

This will personally help me because I need to colorize specific areas while keeping the text flow. A table is the only real place I can do this.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Enable relative searches, e.g. 'point size more than 10 pts' or 'space before less than 6 pts'

You can use the Find Text and Find Grep features to look for certain constant values, e.g 'point size 12 pts', 'tracking 75', 'space before 6 pts'.

But it's not possible to search for relative values, e.g. 'point size less than 12pts'. And it's not possible to do negative, e.g. search for certain text in paragraphs that do not have a certain paragraph style applied.

These features would make it much easier to find text with missing or incorrectly applied formatting, and generally would mean that the search scope can be specified more flexibly, which in turn means that InDesign's…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Transparency/opacity settings for paragraph shading

It would be nice to have transparency/opacity settings for paragraph shading. In certain designs, it would be nice if paragraph shading worked a lot like a frame fill that you can control the transparency and blending options for the shading portion. This would be applicable to borders as well. Right now, to get the semblance of semi-transparency, you have to apply it to the whole frame, but you may just want the shading and no other elements to be affected.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Artifact dot leaders

When dealing with accessibility compliance and Table of Contents, it is best practice to artifact the dot leaders so the user does not have to listen to "dot dot dot" or "35-dot" before each page number. If we could assign a artifact TAG to the leader in the panel when we create the TOC settings that would save HOURS of work on the PDF side having to artifact each one.

PLEAAASSSE!!!!!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. endnote renumbering

Please Please add a feature that allows endnotes to renumber with each section within the same document.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. PLEASE ADD IN INDESIGN THE EQUATION EDITOR.

Please add the new add in is "Equation Editor" like found in Microsoft Word, it is very useful

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hiding system fonts or warning about using them

Add system fonts in the unauthorized fonts of the preflight panel.
    I work in the IT department of a press group; our users work on Mac, but we use a Windows InDesign Server solution to process PDF’s. Our users are warned that they should use only OTF fonts but some of them ignore these warnings.

The other solution would be to be able to hide system fonts in the font dropdown menu.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Restart footnote numbering flexibility

Currently, regardless of whether the "Restart Numbering Every: ...." checkbox does nothing to force footnotes to continue across multiple, unthreaded frames. I would have thought that if you didn't tell it to restart, it would not and would continue to increment each time if found a footnote - but that is not the case. We have various footnote scenarios based on our different clients:

For some, they want the footnotes numbered consecutively throughout their report. Others want it restarted with every major section. But these reports are complicated - hundreds of pages - and it is very inconvenient to thread…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve hanging punctuation settings

Hanging punctuation can improve the typesetting. But sometimes it creates undesired effects. For instance hanging bullets look terrible. On the contrary, some characters are missing (see https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37832143-add-hanging-punctuation-for-chevrons)

Please add the option to modify the list of hanging characters and let users define their own value of this effect.

Affinity Publisher is a good example (see attached screenshot): users can define hanging punctuation value in % for any glyph, even for letters, this is very useful for headlines.

And please make the setting part of the Paragraph Style as recommended here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37880509-remove-story-panel-make-optical-alignment-a-parag – the Story panel does not make sense.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add German: Reform 2017

Last year in Germany, a new spelling reform has been published. Currently our indesign only offers spelling according to the German Reform 2006: Please advise whether it is possible to update the German Reform to 2017 indesign
    I asked Adobe support online but he asked me submit this feature requests.

thanks

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Text from a paragraph style used in a variable does not carry any character styling

Text from a paragraph style used in a variable does not carry any character styling.

Define a variable using the text of a specific paragraph style. Add character styles to the text (or use a GREP style) and when the text is
    pulled" by the variable the character style is not reflected.

Often this is used for running headers and footers. Example: if the registered trademark symbol is added to the text, it is regular case in the variable.

This also really screws up the ToC when the paragraph style is used in a ToC

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Font Substitution Preferences

I often have several of the same fonts come up that I'm missing in the documents I'm working on from other people. I think it would be great to be able to have a user preference to define a specific font I have to replace it automatically rather than just a default font.

This could also help with fonts that are technically the same, but one is an open type vs post script version.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Insert special character — Unicode compliance

Unicode is required to meet accessibility standards and several forms of publishing technologies.

The keyboard shortcuts and right-click/opt-click Insert Special Characters shortcuts need to be updated to insert the Unicode versions of these glyphs.

The Unicode glyph charts are at www.Unicode.org

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Restart footnotes after a style

In addition to being able to restart footnotes every new section, page, or spread, add the ability to restart footnote numbering after a paragraph style of your choosing. Let's say I wanted to have footnotes restart each chapter and each chapter began with a numeral with the paragraph style named "chapter number," then I wouldn't necessarily have to watch or redo my sections, they would just automatically restart (at 1) after each "chapter number" style.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base