Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. No scroll options in Font menu

Please, add a scroll bar and/or scroll wheel/page down/page up options and maybe start typing font name desired to functionality in the font menu in InDesign CC PC versions! Painful at best without these options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. type measurement units

I choose inches for my units. It used to be, that even when I did this, type units were always in points... specifically space before and space after paragraphs. Now, they display in inches. I know I can type in "p8" and it will convert... but I need to SEE it in points, rather than having to change my units every time I need to see this. I thought that previous versions also had, in preferences, units specifically for Type. I would like this feature back.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Convert the selected footnote to the endnote and vice versa.

Convert the selected footnote to the endnote and vice versa.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Footnotes in Separate Detached Frame.

It is a very important feature to be able to customise the layout of footnotes with full control. Currently footnotes in InDesign are attached to the main text frame, & you have no control over it.

We suggest being able to have footnotes in a separate fully customisable text frame, while still being linked to the main frame!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Slant button to create faux italics

A one-click button to slant text and create faux italics.

Yes, the resulting text won't be real italics. Yes, typographic snobs will look down on InDesign and on you as a designer for using it.

But on projects were it doesn't matter, we get one-button access to make our clients happy and move onto projects where it real italics do matter.

I remember a time when this button was in InDesign, for the love of god, please bring it back.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Uncheck Shared Hyperlink Destination by default

In the panel 'New Hyperlink' the box 'Shared Hyperlink Destination' is by default checked. I always (must) uncheck it. Two questions: can I reset these default-settings somewhere. (I think not - but I'll like to do that). There is no possibility to put this check on/off under a shortcut. That should be nice for automation-purpose.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. errors created when outlining text

When I outlined text today before sending to the printer, extra spaces were introduced into the text. this isn't supposed to happen!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix endnote placement options to include placement immediately following chapter text.

I have yet to see a book with chapter endnotes that had notes starting on a new page rather than immediately after the chapter text. It isn't possible, though, in InDesign, to select this as an option. Can this be addressed?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. endnote renumbering

Please Please add a feature that allows endnotes to renumber with each section within the same document.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Spellchecking and hyphenation anno 2019

The current spell checker is helpful, but also limited. The error detection rate is too low. Hyphenation error also occurs too often. (Both esp. in german language.) Artificial intelligence that maps the complete official dictionaries and spelling rules of each language should be added to the agenda and implemented. User dictionaries should only record WORDSAMENTS that contain words that are not in the official dictionary. Word forms and compound words should be derived from the rules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. text conversation in profile bugs in CC19

Text converting in outline bugs in CC19!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. horizontal alignment of text inside of text frame

Previously InDesign had HORIZONTAL alignment of text inside the text frame. You could align text at the top, bottom and centre of the text frame. It was one of the best features of InDesign, and it seems to be stripped off. :(
    Unless it's still there somewhere, thoroughly hidden away. But why?!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Easy way to convert text to outline while exporting

Most of our printers still ask for fonts to be outlined.
    Unfortunately the process to outline is very complicated and usually results in bullets, text box backgrounds and underline/over-lines disappearing. I also don't always want to flatten the whole document but simply rasterize the text. Especially when sending something to print that has different ink layers. Being able to outline text in the Export dialog box would be the best solution. This way I don't have to save a separate document or undo all my changes before saving so I retain my text in the Indd file.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Let baseline shift be expressed as a percentage of the font size

If I've created a paragraph style, sometimes I add a character style with a different size for specific purposes, usually either a bullet point or a quote mark (to highlight a pullquote, for example).

In practice, this means a bullet point is usually smaller, and the quote mark is larger than the rest of the paragraph text. I alter this size as a horizontal and vertical scale, NOT a specific size in points, as this lets the characters scale in proportion when I alter the type size of the paragraph style.

However, I usually also include a baseline shift in…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. bullets disappear when you outline the text

bullets disappear when you outline the text. how is this a thing. fix this immediately.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When running spellcheck on a document.. Id like to be able to go back. Like a "back button" instead of just a "skip" forward...

When running spellcheck on a document.. Id like to be able to go back. I click through the spell check pretty fast in the interest of time. Id Like a "back button" instead of just a "skip" forward button or "ignore all" button... Instead of having to go through the entire document to get back to the word i saw that might be misspelled. I'd like to be able to click back to the word then proceed through the remainder of the document.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Endnotes as bibliography, reference one source multiple times.

When creating a bibliography often times you must reference one source multiple times.

the way that it is set up now, adding a new endnote creates a new entry at the bottom. there is no way to reference something twice.

Obviously this creates concerns when considering navigation, as it works both ways now.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Independent column widths

Please add the option to have independent column-widths in a text frame. This would be really useful for text in nearly any letterhead footer.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. please add the tools math and chemistry equation,

please add the tools or plugins ,how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation. i used olad applcaition adobe pagemaker 5 or 7 i can create the math and chemistry equation in it , but i cant create a equitation in it i used the 3rd party plugin
    http://www.mathmagic.com/product/pro.html , this appcation i used it in adobe pagemaker, but this plugin i can't used it in indign cc or cs6 , i want a eqautiion in text document in default setting , size and font ,
    reply…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. make Spell Check and Find/Change operate in page order rather than chronological order of text box creation

Find/Change and Spell Check seem to function in a random way (they actually search through text boxes in the order in which the boxes were created in the document). In a large document a user can become very confused about how much of the document is searched, especially if he makes changes mid-search.

It would be much more user friendly if the functions would operate in a page by page order.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base