1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. EXACT ALIGNMENT OF TEXT TO EDGE TEXT BOX

Perfect right and left alignment of text so that all of the end-of-line characters exactly hit the edge of the text box.

This is useful for certain designs that entail perfect geometric type alignment.

See attached screen shot showing the default setting of right aligned text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. orphans

In the paragraph options, we should have an option for how long the last word in a paragraph must be in order to turn down to its own line. Wording could be "minimum of __ characters on last line" And allow us to turn this feature on or off in addition to specifying the number of characters on the last line.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include search for cross references pointing to other documents in Preflight

Until now, cross refs to other documents can kill Indesign in case that other document has been renamed, moved or deleted. ID would then, like, forever try to find that document, slowing itself down to the unability to work with it.
    That's why such cross refs should not exist, but they occur when copying text from one document to another. In order to find these cross refs, the only way is to hover with the mouse over the cross refs listing in the cross ref panel. That's annoying. Please include searching for such cross refs to Preflight.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Define word count when filling placeholder text

When creating documents waiting on content to be supplied, would be great to be able to define number of words or paragraphs for placeholder text to help accurately identify space that may be required.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show number of occurrences in Find/Change

It would be great if in the Find/Change panel, when you look for something, InDesign tells you the number of occurrences that search appears in the document (in a similar way Microsoft Word does in the Find Panel)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Numbered paragraphs don't increment in footnotes

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
    Mac OS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Apply automatic numbering to a paragraph style
    2. Apply that style to footnotes

Expected result
    Each footnote will be properly numbered, starting at 1.

Actual result
    All footnotes are numbered 1.

In the attached screenshot you can see the third footnote. The indicator is the correct number but the footnote is numbered 1, even though it is the third footnote. Footnote 2 is also numbered 1.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Text Macros like in InCopy

I create a lot of documents that have textual elements that are repetitive, like resumes that include a project description. When using MS Word, I use the Quick Parts functionality to capture that text and insert it whenever I need it.

My company is just beginning to explore the InDesign/InCopy workflow, and I saw that InCopy has a feature much like Quick Parts, called Text Macros. I could really use this if it was implemented in InDesign as well. I have used Autocorrect for similar functionality, but I have never tried it with more than a few words at a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. grep queries on server

being able to store queries on the server, so that the whole team has the same queries (esp. greps). Maybe 2 options, a userbased and a "application" based solution, just like the scripts?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add the conversion feature for simplified Chinese & traditional Chinese

Highly recommended as it can really speed up production for various countries in the Asia area.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text Box Auto Size Type

I think we should have the ability to lock a text box so as we type in it, it automatically typesets the copy to always fit in the textbox.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Spelling & Grammer included in Preflight Report

Would it be possible to enhance the prelight report features to include spelling & grammar checks so you could go through the report with page numbers references instead of having to click through each misspelt word individually .... for long documents this is a real problem as a lot of the instances of acronyms and named places currently get picked up which are not actually misspelt words ...

Currently, this can be achieved with purchase of plugin suite from Mindstream - http://www.mindsteam.com/products/mindsuitepro/index.html

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Unequal columns within a single text frame

It would be great if we could define different column widths within a single text frame, making the automatization of sidebars in longer documents easier. Currently, we need to set up differently sized text boxes on the page and link them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Static Endnotes

I need a possibility to turn off the automatic endnote function that appears in InDesign CC 2018. It may be practical for some applications, but it greatly impedes the flexibility of many designs. Can someone tell me if this is possible – the endnotes don't need to be dynamic for my purposes. The way they were imported when placing a Word document in ID CC 2017 was fine.
    Richt now, the only way I know to work around it is to use Peter Kahrel's footnote to endnote script.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

14. Find/Change options for variables

Currently, you can only search for all variables used. But that's it. There is no way to search for the contents of variables or find a specific variable used.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Speed up baseline setup

Setting up a baseline grid can be easier, I think.

A workflow speed-up like this would be great:

1) select the basic text
    2) click on a button that does all these things at once:
    - Show baseline grid
    - base the baseline grid on the line height of the selected text without going to the preferences panel (line height, etc.)
    - align the text to the baseline grid

I think this feature is great for newer, and existing Indesign users and can be a great addition to the feature request in this thread:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/32113915-dynamic-baseline-related-unit-of-measurement

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Stop underlining words after dot.

Indesign underlines after the dot the words that begin with small letter. This is wrong in the case of abbreviations. Indesign should either recognize the abbreviation either there must be a way to signal the correctness of the word that begins with small cap.
    Example: typing the text " bla bla ex. blah" will result in underlined 'blah'.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. option boxes with sizes need different default behavior

for all boxes where you can edit a size, please make the default behavior that when you click in the box to edit the size it selects everything. that way you can just click on the box and put in the new number. If for example a text size is 10px, please when I select the box, select everything so that I can just type in 14 to make the size bigger. If I type in 14, you should just keep it in pixels. Or if I type in 14pts, change it to points. Editing sizes right now is annoying…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Custom numbered footnotes

One feature is really missing from the beginning - and this a free style numbering (endnotes and footnotes as well).

So many times we get the Asterisk (*) as start, followed by numbered footnotes (1, 2, 3, 4, …). So it would be helpful to define something like this: *, \# (<-- which means, first Asterisk and numbered from up there, etc.) Or *, o, \# etc.

Example for placed footnote text:

* Temp
    o Temp
    1 Temp
    2 Temp
    3 Temp

It could be implemented in the footnote area of the text container (Command/STRG B) and…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Restart footnote/endnote numbering after chosen Paragraph Style

Please add the possibility to reset the numbering of footnotes/endnotes in the paragraph style.

This should be a Paragraph Style Option.

If someone works in just one long tread, it would be much faster to reset footnotes or endnotes numbering automatically after specific paragraph style instead of making sections once and once again (after every reflow) .

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base