When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In Indesign interactive PDF buttons set link destination options for opening the url

In Indesign interactive PDF buttons set link destination options for opening the url

like blank page, self etc...just like in html is possible.

So when you view a interactive PDF online and you click on a link the destination opens in a new window or tab, just like you selected in Indesign. And not only in the window you are viewing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Relative paths to external files

My goal is to do all the layout and linking in indesign then do an export to a PDF with hyperlinks. The PDF and all the external linked files will then be distributed to other computers via USB-stick or CD.
    The links has to be relative for this to work and I would like to have that option in the hyperlinks pod/panel or when doing a PDF (or HTML export).
    I have been waiting 10 years for this feature - I cant understand why it has not been implemented searching the internet. it must be a clear usecase for indesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Individual PDFs - prefix page number

Thanks for the new export to individual pages!!! Would it be possible for the page number to be a prefix? My InSite provider wants the page numbers in the front of the file name. Perhaps it could be an option along with suffix?

Otherwise I'm stuck batch renaming all my files before uploading which is just adding another step to make a mistake.

Thanks.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Media Panel - PDF options of Video playback

Would be good if you could have more control over the behaviour of a video once output to PDF.

Currently all videos properties are set to "disable Content is selected from the context menu"
    As a result I then have to edit each video property individually in acrobat DC to set it to
    "The page containing the content is closed"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Export PDF Booklet

Instead of having to do "File>Print Booklet" and hassling with making a post script file and making a PDF from that (which doesn't ever seem to work the right way for me) there should be an option to export a booklet PDF. So many of the printers I work with request a booklet PDF and it would make everything so much easier if there was this option.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. More options when creating Forms via InDesign

InDesign has a few features that make it possible to export an interactive PDF-Formular directly from InDesign.

This CAN save a lot of time when customers require changes on these Files but sadly InDesign is missing out a lot of features that Adobe Acrobat has - even though it'd be a lot easyier to set everything up in InDesign.

So in my opinion the Formular menue needs some improvement and get more functionality (In Acrobat you can define a font VS via InDesign you can't) since more and more customers request Interactive PDF-Forms etc.

It would be valuable to us…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Package file with Interactive PDF

Make "Interactive PDF" an option when including a PDF in a package.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Outline type when exporting PDF

For various reasons, I export most of my high-res PDFs with the type outlined. Once a piece is finalized, I'll duplicate any pages in the file, then outline the type before exporting. It's not ideal (it confuses anyone new who comes in and has to work with our files), but it works.

The downfall is that, if there are any links using live type, that won't get outlined. And if it's a multi-page document, we wind up with a LOT of outlining and a ton of pages.

It would be AMAZING if InDesign included the option to outline all type…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Be able to export pdfs by sections and using section markers as pdf file names.

Be able to export pdfs by sections and using section markers as pdf file names. Also, being able to specify that each pdf start with page 1 regardless of the InDesign page number.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Movies in interactive PDF

MP4 files that work everywhere in interactive PDFs would be so big. You’d own the world, dude.

This has to be on top of a list somewhere, it ain’t rocket science to understand how important this is. Buy someone or something, just get it done.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. PDF export naming

I see a lot of ideas when it comes to PDF export and file naming behavior. All ideas could come together in 1 overall feature. In the left export column can be added an extra option called File naming.

The option containes the ability to force InDesign to use the original filename and you can choose extra options for naming. Such as prefix and/or suffix. Here you can also select the option to export single pages or spreads to PDF

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Accessibility—PDF Export Preset

In PRINT PDF export options, we have the option of saving settings as JobOptions which can be selected in the future from a drop-down menu.

Need the same capability in INTERACTIVE PDF export options, too.

And we also need preset for accessibility from both PRINT and INTERACTIVE PDF exports, one that ships and installs with InDesign and PDF Maker (MS Office) to automatically set the options for tagging and tab order.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Preserve filename on PDF export

This is a common issue having looked around the internet for a solution...

PDF export uses the name of the file up until the point where a user changes the name of the PDF before export, then saves the file after the export is done. That changed name is then written into the file and used as this is the expected behaviour.

However, this becomes an issue if you are repurposing the same artwork at different sizes (for example) where you have to manually override the filename on each export.

It would be great if a future InDesign build had…

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Increase Default Offset crop marks to .125 in

When you create a PDF from InDesign, the Default Offset for the Marks and Bleeds is .0833 in. Why is that, when the usual minimum bleed is .125 in. Yes, we can change it. But do you know how many people change it? ...not many.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Include notes as comments

Could you please include the PDF export options "Include notes as annotations" from InCopy in Indesign?
    Thank you

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Artifacting Master Page Items—accessibility

Within the past year, Adobe InDesign changed the way it handles items on a master page when the file is exported to accessible PDF.

We used to be able to control each MP item and designate whether it was artifacted or kept live and tagged in the PDF reading orders. BUT, in recent versions of InDesign, EVERYTHING on the MP is automatically artifacted and we have no control over this.

This fowls up workflows where some MP items must be kept live, tagged, and in the PDF's reading order, such as the project I'm working (series of fact sheets for…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create merged pdf from layers of one file

Have a file with multiple languages with each language on a separate layer that must be combined into one pdf file. Would like to be able to export once and have all pdfs completed from InDesign.

One document contains 26 different languages that must be exported.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Accessibility—Artifact tables for layout, but keep their content

Sometimes designers use a table for layout purposes, not for a traditional spreadsheet-like matrix data in columns and rows.

Example: A table that creates a complex, multi-celled form. For layout, it's easier to create rows and columns to hold the form labels and form control fields.

However, when the form is exported to PDF, the table structure itself is not needed and often gets in the way of many assistive technologies.

Need a way to artifact the table structure itself, but retain the content within the table as live text and form fields. And of course, have it correctly tagged…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base