How can we improve InDesign?

Preflight to include Accessibility check

This was hard to decide the category but preflight is under Print/Packaging even id accessibility often is for digital formats. The Preflight ought not to be limited to just the print workflow and VIGC had a great script that would guide us into making all the right processes for transparency flattening etc if print or digital was the output. Sorry about preramble.

I do not feel I have the full knowledge to make documents compliant with Accessibility guidelines as I have my background in print. I would need help and I think that the Preflight pannel is is perfect tool to give me a heads up when I am not following guidelines.

It could help me to know when there is an alt text missing (to have the option to mark as an artefact if it is purely decorative)

It could help me know if I have untagged text styles.

There are probably more checks that could be included but then I would need to know more about accessibility and PDF/UA

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lukas Engqvist shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jewel Hampton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would absolutely use this feature and so would all the designers on my campus. Universities are scrutinized for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all PDF documents posted to websites are required to be ADA compliant.

• Bevi Chagnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lukas, I would love to work with you on this. Contact me off list.
    —Bevi Chagnon | PubCom (accessibility experts)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be wonderful to have a Preflight pre-set that I could turn on, which would check for errors before exporting to a tagged PDF for screen readers. I do this *ALL THE TIME* and would love to be able to do more of the work in InDesign, versus hoping for the best then cleaning up in Acrobat.

Feedback and Knowledge Base