When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please, please, please increase the overall stability of InDesign.

I’ve lost count of the number of times functionality has gone missing (ie: unable to proportionally scale using key commands and my mouse, sliding elements vertically or horizontally without changing either their “x” or “y” coordinate (respectively), etc.

I would suggest (and I am absolutely serious about this) that Adobe take 3 months off from issuing any updates to the product and have all your techs, engineers and coders work out as many functionality issues a possible to improve the stability of the product. Don’t get me wrong, it is a fabulous product (and you have no real competition except…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have user Templates available on the splash screen/new document page

Creating templates greatly enhances document workflow creation. 2 things would make that even better:
    Make the templates available on the splash screen/new document dialog - possibly under the saved tab.
    Create a workflow that would allow for documents created from a template to update if the template is changed.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Data Merge > Create Tagged PDF checkbox

On Data Marge > Export to PDF just let us select the "Create Tagged PDF".

For example, I have 1300 records, an 8 page document template and have to export 1300x 8pp uniquely named PDF files - files names from data.

Currently have to:
    1. run the merge in groups of 100 records otherwise InDesign will hang
    2. create tagged PDFs from the 13x 800pp InDesign files (50 minutes per 100)
    3. combine PDFs
    4. create bookmarks from content
    5. split by bookmark structure

Points 1, 2 and 3 could be combined by simply allowing "Create Tagged PDF" and save…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. End-notes and Footnotes URLS

I do a lot of books for Print and digital (pdf and ePub). End-notes have always been a problem, even now that Indesign supports End-notes.

For PDF and ePub export , in order to have the end-note reference clickable to redirect the user to it's corresponding end-note, then a link back again, I have to do this manually.

This is a massive manual process...

1. Let's say I have 100 end-notes. With each end-note reference, I have to place a new 'Hyperlink Destination' (for the return link)... That's going through the document, and placing 100 hyperlink destinations.

2. Then, I go to…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Graph

A graph creating option, similar to one on Illustrator.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. YAML and JSON

I don't know if this should go into the scripting category.

But could you please extent InDesign's capability or range when it comes to import or process data files, using structured data and Data Merge etc.

From only accepting CSV files to also accept, JSON and YAML

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improvement Indesign Accessibility Features

I use Indesign to create accessible PDFs but there are a few features that should be there.

TABLES
    Automatic Header Column and Header Row tagging. At the moment Header Column is recognized but not Header Row. If this was implemented you could go a step further and add ID tags and scope automatically. This would be a huge time saver since this all has to be done manually in Acrobat. It would also be nice to have an option to specify the Title of the table as a caption tag.

FOOTNOTES
    At the moment you have to add the proper…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Index / Table of Contents

When creating an Index, you are limited to populate ONLY one Index style format. MS Word, it is greatly inferior program, and yet you can create a General Index, a Index of Cases and Index of Figures. Indesign is the leading industry program for designers and writers, NOT MS word.

What happens if have lots of illustrations, data tables graphs and flowcharts all numbered accordingly. For example, an illustration (Figure 20 or Table 7), maybe on page 40, but there are 40 mentions throughout the document. Thus, in Indesign, you can not create a proper index list every page number…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Use Keyboard arrows to go through links list

When I want to check the links in the links menu and I have klicked on one of them, I thought it could be time saving if I could just use the arrows of my keyboard to "scroll up and down" through them. Right now you have to always klick with your mouse on one of them, you can´t use the arrows to go through them.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Export the complete Text

To make the text contents of a document available for other users or applications one should be able to export the whole text (meaning every piece of text in the whole document. To a single text file (rtf or txt). Currently I am able to this with a plugin
    (https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/text-exporter/) but I feel this should be within the scope of the program itself.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Find/Change: search multiple formats, NOT & OR options, multiple changes, drop-downs

I work with books, some of them very long and complex. Because I'm strict about styles and consistency, and because the authors rarely are, I have to use Find/Change a lot. It is by far the part of InDesign that I find most lacking.

1. Instead of clicking to get to find format or change format options, pick from drop-down(s) right there on the F/C dialog. At least for styles (but ideally also for fonts, swatches, etc.).

2. Search multiple styles at once (but not all styles, as happens when you don't select one in the find format area). For example: find…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. CMYK to RGB export should always translate 100K to RGB 0,0,0

As per the title, when working with a CMYK document with 100K blacks, when exporting to RGB, these should always get translated to RGB 0,0,0 - regardless of what Printing/Exporting setting is used in the Appearance of Black preference menu.

Right now, when exporting a CMYK document to RGB (regardless of whether you use PDF, PNG or JPG), if your Appearance to Black Print/Export setting is set to "Output All Blacks Accurately", you will end up with incorrect black levels. What really should be RGB 0,0,0 ends up being RGB 35,31,32 or so. This is true even when working with…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Endnote export to Word

Export linked endnotes to a rich text document.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Delete Multiple Index Entries

As it is, if you "add all" with the index tool, it creates an index entry for every instance of the selected word. Sometimes it might have that word 20 times on a page over a range of pages. As it is now, each of these entries over multiple pages must be deleted one-by-one by dragging the number individually into the trash can in the index tool. It would be awesome if you could select multiple entries at once (by using +ctrl or + shift) so you could drag multiple entries into the trash. This would increase my efficiency by…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Find all except this Paragraph or Character Style

Add an option in (Find Format) tab of Find/Change window, We can exclude one or more style from search. For instance, find question mark in all styles, except (Body Copy Style).
    Instead of repeating the query for each style.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Extract Each Page In Separated INDD Files

Please add a function to extract each pages of the document in separated INDD files like the wonderfull script called "Extract Pages"

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto save

Please add auto save like your other products

thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Exporting seperat images as cropped in page design

I layout a newspaper. We have several images on each page. Each image is cropped or framed so it fit on the page.

There is no way to mark 3-4 images on each page and export them as they are cropped/framed - not as the original image is. It's really annoying, because when I want to put the images on the website, the images needs to be cropped the same way as in the articles.

I would really like this option.

Now I have to open each photo in photoshop, crop it, and save it. It' s very time consuming.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. CS6 future use

32-bit CS6 InDesign works with High Sierra, though with some minor irritations. It will not work at all once Mac goes over solely to 64-bit. It is disgraceful that Adobe tries to make one go over to subscription-only CC. I for one, and I am sure I am not the only one, want nothing to do with a cloud-based subscription, with which you lose access to your own work if you stop paying the sub. For this reason, in preparation for the future, I have just bought 64-bit non-subscription QuarkXpress, at a roughly half-price offer for such as InDesign users…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base