2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

150 results found

1. Pages panel for book wiev

I want the pages panel to display the whole book. Sometimes it is very useful to see the transitions between chapters before exporting to PDF. Double click a page and it opens the file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Index Alphabetising Systems

I'm currently producing a book every Bob Dylan song in it for his publisher. It's a huge project and I'm indexing. I've noticed something very odd with InDesign's indexing system, which is that it's only possible to alphabetise letter-by-letter, so if these were song titles, I'd get this (in this order):

I Dream
    I'm Asking
    I'm Falling
    I Win

Of course, what I want is word-by-word indexing, which would give me the (correct) following:

I Dream
    I Win
    I'm Asking
    I'm Falling

I know I can tweak these entries manually, and I have done but it's laborious and risky. I…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide variable features as in Adobe Framemaker

Adobe Framemaker has a superb variable features
    - Support wrapping of long text from variable in document
    - Conditional text (e.g., <$paratext[Appendix, Chapter]>)
    - Standard portions of text (e.g., $paratext, $paratextonly, $marker1, ...)

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. H&Js

Please add several built-in H&Js that we can preselect and let us create and also let us save our own so that we can reuse them in different styles and different documents.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Scrollable text frame feature.

Currently you have the option in the overlays panel, but it currently doesn't work. This is valuable for many design jobs where the client has to cull text to make the content fit into a specified page size. Particularly in PDF format, so if it's possible to make it work for all export formats, not just ePub and Publish online. Clients are still using PDFs so we need to make things work for them.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add a way within a book file to update all document's tables-of-contents.

Please add a way within a book file to update all document's tables-of-contents.

Right now, when I make a change to one document that changes page numbering, I must manually go update the TOC of every document in the book individually. This feature could easily be added to the same "Update Numbering" command within a book document.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Traditional Book Focus

I write long traditional books with hundreds of black and white text pages. Adobe's focus as a graphics company may be why it misses some important issues for people like me. Editing hundreds of pages of text and incorporating feedback is extremely difficult.

To accomplish this I have to get the full layout correct with many chapters all in individual files and then create a PDF version of the book. of course, when viewed two up the pages don' align properly if I don't insert a blank page as the first page using DC. Simple fix, give me a proofing…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Running Headers to pull from previous page

Add the ability for a paragraph/character style to pull from previous page. Currently only given first on page and last on page. Need more options. example: chapter 1title is on page 1 and text crosses onto page 2. At the end of page 2 is the next chapter title, but need to be able to put the previous chapter header on page 2 as a running header.

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Apply character styles to every occurrence of specific index entries

Allow us to apply character styles to every occurrence of specific index entries. For example book titles that are usually italicized.

Under the topic in addition to the sort by options include a checkbox for always apply character style and then the drop down to select a character style.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. set individual pages as non-numbered in books

I use the book feature for many, if not most of the documents that I create. Each individual InDesign document included within the book is a new chapter. Because the majority of my clients request printed copies of the documents I create, I usually create customized tab pages that precede each chapter, so that the end user can easily find a specific section. These tabs are printed on card stock instead of the standard bond paper that is used for the content of the document.

The majority of my documents require page numbers, and so I use the feature where…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Managing Multiple Sets of Endnotes In a Document AND allowing Endnotes to refer to a separate INDD Document

Issue #1:
    Here's my first dilemma: I am building a book with several hundred pages. This book will be printed (won't be an eBook/iBook). I'm keeping each chapter as its own document that I will then collect together as a larger Book at the end. The last chapter will be just for all the book's endnotes. In previous versions of InDesign, I would import the Word document, delete the endnotes out of the "Chapter x" document, and pop them back into the "Endnotes chapter" without affecting the superscripts referencing the endnotes throughout the text. Easy. Now, in cc 2018 if…

98 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Do not like the new endnote feature. There needs to be an option to disable it when importing Word documents.

Endnotes needs an option to be disabled when importing long Word documents. Minimally, it needs an option to run-on the endnote text at the end of the document and dissociate the reference marker with the note text so that both can be formatted with the rest of the document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Endnote citation order

Looking to expand the scope of endnotes and footnote to include multiple stories in a document so that the citation order follows reference where it falls on the page, not just a single story.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Relative path to linked excel tables and images

I have folders structure for my engineering report. I want to use it for other projects too. So I need possibility to set relative paths for linked tables and pictures to have possibility to copy whole report structure to the new place and repeate all calculations and make new report. Now I have to copy structure, rename old project folder to force InDesign to take new project folder, open new report book,update all links,save new report book with all documents. Restore name of old project folder.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Multiple index

Support for multiple indices (Index of Subject, Index of Authors, Index of Passages, Index of pictures, index of tables).

That would greatly improve performance of work and cut a lot of time and get out books faster than before with higher accuracy!

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Continue footnotes numeration

Add the possibility to continue footnotes numeration over different stories. For example, continue footnotes numeration on different chapters of a book, where each chapter is one independent file.

157 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. variable text date +1

Allow for text variable dates to have a condition add one to the date.

Monthly publication layout is usually done in the month prior to publication. The current options for text variable dating do not have an option to take the current month and add one to it for the date that appears.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Easier Conditional Text in Tables

Currently, to apply conditional text to text inside tables, you have to go cell-by-cell to apply the text. This behavior is unlike character and paragraph style application, where you can simply select a bunch of cells and apply the styles all at once. Conditional text application to cell contents should behave the same.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make the color of the hidden conditional text indicator match the color assigned to the condition

Currently, the color of the hidden conditional text indicator is orange. But why orange?why not something more useful? We are able to assign specific colors to each condition, so why not extend those colors to the hidden conditional text indicator as well? Right now, in order to see which condition is applied to hidden conditional text, we have to hover over it and hope that the tooltip pops up. Like this: http://documentgeek.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-see-hidden-conditional-text-in.html

But if there are number of hidden conditions, that trick doesn't work. At the very least, color-code the eyeball in the story editor. In the story editor, you…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improved Find/Change with Conditional Text

The reason is that the Find/Change function has a serious limitation in that it will only find text with certain conditions applied if you choose to search for ALL of the conditions applied to the text in question. That’s fine in the rare cases where I know all the conditions applied to the text that I need to find.

I want the a radio button behavior, where InDesign will find anything with a certain condition applied to it, even if there are other conditions applied as well.

For additional details, see:
    https://indesignsecrets.com/limitations-findchange-in-conditional-text.php

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?