1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

150 results found

1. 'Even' and 'odd' pages from consecutive files in an InDesign book will not combine on a spread when exporting to PDF

When exporting a book with multiple InDesign files to PDF the last 'even' page from document 'x' needs to combine with the first 'odd' page of the next document on a spread.
    So let's say document 1 is from page 1-6 and document 2 is from page 7 to page 50, pages 6 and 7 need to merge onto a spread when exporting to PDF. It will now make separate pages, while the pages from one and the same document do come out as spreads.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Support Apple Pages file as original text file

I use Pages a lot, more than word, as pages support a lot of macOS native shortcut and I like to use them to quickly do my text editing, but word on the other hand has too many shortcut that doest follow the logic in macOS…

As a heavy Pages user, it would be a huge time saving option to be able to link my pages file into indesign the same way as word file does.

I like the idea of doing my text in a clean text editor like Pages, and linking it to InDesign to do the heavy…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. character styles stay/strip/replace in VARIABLES

Headers created with Variables need to be able to do three different things with character styles that are included in text :

1. The Character Style stays present in the VARIABLE ;
    2. The Character Style is stripped.
    3. The Character Style is mapped to another character style.

These settings should accessible in the Style: <stylename> section of the TOC options -- customizable for each paragraph style used to generate the TOC.

The most notable use for the mapping style is when the typeface between the TOC and the body text of the book differs,…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Select multiple objects/images across spreads

Please develop a way to select multiple object or images across multiple spreads. I have a 300+ page document that needs all images nudged slightly up or down.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Remove [All paragraph] from Cross-Reference

After the update Indesign to the latest version, there is an option for [All Paragraph] when creating a new cross-reference. This has led to a very slow performance when it tries to load all paragraph by default.

The alternative is having a "unchecked" option for user, perhaps?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Preflight Panel: Page Range Textbox should be wider

In the preflight panel, the textbox that you can type page ranges into is simply too small, leading to confusion when you're working with higher-numbered ranges. See attached images of the same range and how digits are easily obscured.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The ability to unlink footnote/endnotes from references, thus turning the footnote/endnotes into static notes.

As a designer who typesets thousands of pages of academic research annually, the ability to convert footnotes to endnotes and vice versa is a helpful addition (thanks InDesign team), but more features are needed:

The ability to unlink footnote/endnotes from references, thus turning the footnote/endnotes into static notes.

Currently this process is accomplished only via the benevolence and magic of Peter Kahrel's script, available here: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/end_to_static_CC2018.jsx

The reason being, I can no longer use the InDesign XML tagging feature while the footnote/endnotes remain linked—for some reason, XML tagging of footnote/endnote text is not supported!

If you'll indulge me, here's a…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow more formatting of running heads

I'm working on a book whose running heads use both bold and roman type. (Chapter 1: Chapter title where "Chapter 1:" is bold and "Chapter TItle" is roman. As far as I know, I can't use variables or automatic section heads to format this way so have resorted to having a separate master page for each chapter.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Table of Contents: Character Style Improvements

TOCs need to be able to do three different things with character styles that are included in text in a generated TOC:

1. The Character Style stays present in the TOC (this is currently what InDesign does)
    2. The Character Style is stripped.
    3. The Character Style is mapped to another character style.

These settings should accessible in the Style: <stylename> section of the TOC options -- customizable for each paragraph style used to generate the TOC.

The most notable use for the mapping style is when the typeface between the TOC and the body text of the book differs, or when the…

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Table of Contents

Table of Contents styles should be able to take a selected page range, and generate a TOC based on only that page range.

Many books have multiple TOCs these days — a master TOC up front, and TOCs at the beginning of each chapter or section, and often a hidden TOC that is used to generate PDF bookmarks.

Being able to limit page ranges would mean less manually edited of generated TOCs, faster TOC generation, and needing to use fewer paragraph/character styles to handle them!

82 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Robust Indexing Software

We need a more robust indexing software for those of us in book publishing (nonfiction). Due to the finicky nature of having to manually find and enter every index entry, InDesign's indexing software is only plausible for simple indexes that are done infrequently. Because of this, my publishing company adopted a plug-in, Sonar Bookends, a long time ago. Sonar works quite well, but this has made our use of InCopy impossible, as Sonar Bookends was not designed to work with InCopy and is causing it to regularly crash. I don't see any reason why a robust indexing software that can…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. There is no reference images regarding technical field. I want to add some of these images. let me know your reply..

There is no reference images regarding technical field. I want to add some of these images. let me know your reply on my given email id,
    my id : thephrakesh@gmail.com

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Print the contents of the book window

I'm working on a very long document -- a book with about 300 component files (2-4 pp each). They're all in the book window... but once you're past two or three dozen files, the organization of the book window becomes difficult to view and comprehend. I'd like to print out the contents of the book window (PDF, CSV, spreadsheet, text, whatever) so that I can review what's there and see how best to organize it. The book window allows me to print out the book in different ways, and I can print portions of the book... but not that overview…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add features to draft legal briefs

Legal filings are just complicated, cross-linked books.

Lawyers have to follow court rules when typesetting appellate briefs.
    See e.g., http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/clerk/case_filing/rules/rules_home.html
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/filingandrules/rules_guidance.aspx

WordPerfect has a few useful features: see "Legal Toolbar" https://www.wordperfect.com/en/product/professional-edition/#features

You should add a feature to create a Table of Authorities (ToA). The ToA lists each authority cited along with every page on which it is cited. The ToA has different sections for different kinds of authorities, e.g., cases, statutes, etc.

The best way would be to have InDesign identify authorities/citations. Most lawyers follow the Bluebook. https://www.legalbluebook.com/default.aspx
    Others follow the RedBook or the MaroonBook.

Make selecting, dragging, and dropping…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Windows within Pages Panel

When working on a long document, you may need to refer back to an earlier page for information or formatting consistency. An easy way to do this would be to allow for the Pages Panel to be subdivided into windows or views of the overall docuement. That way when you are at page 120 and need to look at 80, you could simply get 80 in one window and 120 and its adjacent pages in the other. You would then be able to toggle back and forth without having to scroll all the way up and down through the whole…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Notes in Pages Panel

When working on a large document like a book (particularly if you are designing the book while you are producing it), you are constantly revising parts of the page, then going back to refine it as the design evolves. It would be great if you could mark up the Pages Panel with notes (like PDF markups) in the pasteboard like space around the spread icons. This would allow you to leave yourself or others on a team critical information about what is a placeholder and what should be reconsidered.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign Books Improvements

The Book Panel is still bare bones.

1. I want all the fly-out menu options for a book to be available with a secondary click/contextual menu.

2. I want label colors in the Book panel to mark the status of various documents/chapters.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change position of Trashcan icon in Index palette

You can create a new index entry at the cursor position by dragging an existing page reference to the Create New Index Entry icon at the bottom of the Index palette. However, that icon is adjacent to the Trash icon, and both are small. It is too easy to drag the existing page reference onto the Trash icon instead, thus deleting (without a warning!) the existing entry instead of creating a new one. Moving the Trash icon to between the Update Preview or Generate Index icons would reduce this risk. Or add some space and/or a vertical line before the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please bring back mini bridge.

Mini bridge was a great feature. Using Bridge inside of Indesign saved a lot of time and frustration with messy images files from clients.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Revision Lines

A way to add revision lines when working with a document that needs to track changes when they undergo revisions. This is usually helpful with technical documents that are long and change over time with regulations, updates and the sort. Similar to the framemaker feature.

Thanks so much.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base