1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Application retain windown size and position

On open, have InDesign's application window return to the size and position it was in when the application was last closed. The way Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc..., do when they are closed and then reopened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Story editor fonts

Many font families cannot be used, at least not to their full, in the story editor—despite the font family clearly having italic, bold and bold italic faces available. This limitation includes many fonts available through Adobe Fonts (formerly Typekit) as well as a great many non-Adobe fonts.

As best I can tell the limitation is due to these fonts not having the macStyle bits for italic and bold being set appropriately in the font itself.

What I envision is for the story editor preferences to have a way to separately specify the fonts to use for regular, italic, bold and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Story editor maximum line width

It would be great to have a maximum line width, perhaps a maximum number of characters per line, for the story editor (in both InDesign and InCopy).

This is most useful when writing when the story editor is docked on a large monitor. It seems to be best for readability to work with lines of 64 to 80 characters, and at the moment the text simply flows to the entire width of the window.

The current behaviour could be available by setting the maximum number of characters per line to 0, for example. Also, I envision that if there is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Galley view in InDesign

It would be great to have galley view in InDesign, like the one already available in InCopy. This provides a way to work with the many features of the story editor while seeing line breaks within the text as they appear in the layout.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Select all hyperlinks including the nested ones

I wish for it to be possible to select all hyperlinks at once, including the nested (multiple) ones.
    We have a lot of multiple hyperlinks in our books which get nested in the hyperlinks window. Since the hyperlinks are mostly placed through scripts I need to check if the links are around the correct words (for exhample in in-text citations like Rowling, 1997 the 7 isn't part of the link). I check them by selecting all hyperlinks, editing them and giving them a visual border and then switching through the whole book with GREP.
    My problem is: If I try…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option to disable corner rotation widget

Although the corner rotation widget is very practical, it gets in the way often, especially when working with smaller elements. Instead of resizing the item rotates.

Therefore I would like to plead for an option to turn this corner rotation widget off. This way scaling / resizing becomes available better, zooming in and out will be reduced which is more efficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to change standard font family (Minion) in the Find Font dialogue box

It would be wonderful if it would be possible to change the standard font family from Minion to something else. Either by setting up the standard font for new documents, or by adding a checkbox 'Set as default'. Another idea would be if ID simply would remember the last font selected in this dialogue.
    Also something isn't working right here. If you start typing the name of the font and hit Tab to jump to the style, it resets the font family back to Minion.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option to freeze zoom so it always remains on "fit spread in window" even when searching

When working on a large monitor where facing pages easily fit and are still readable, it would be very handy to be able to “freeze” the current zoom so it is kept when searching. As it is now, when one goes through a document finding the next occurrence, the zoom keeps focusing on the found spot, but on a large screen it would be much more agreeable and less strenuous on the eyes if there were the option for the zoom to remain on "fit spread in window"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Wait until I've pressed OK in Step and Repeat before popping up the "Out of Bounds" warning

When using step and repeat, the first thing you enter is the Count. But the distance values are from the last transformation, so sometimes the value there and the Count you enter trigger the "out of bounds" warning when you press tab to exit the "Count" field and move on to the distances. Yes yes, I know, but I haven't had a chance to fill out the new distance yet.

So I then have to tab over to the distances, adjust those, and shift+tab back to the count. Why must I get a popup stopping me when I haven't actually…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Don't activate name field of a highlighted style on first click

Expected: I highlight several styles, click and drag them to the new position.
    Actual: I highlight several styles, click, but the click activates the name field of the style I have clicked on, meaning I can't drag them. I need to click again outside the name field to deselect the field, then drag them.

This could be fixed by changing the behaviour slightly: activate the name field if you click on the text, but don't activate it if you click the blank space to the right of the name (allowing you to drag the order around on the first click).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Column view for index panel

Column view for index panel would be very convenient when working with large indexes. With this feature a large index could be edited and viewed on an external monitor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. option to edit the actual colour of a panel itself...useful for easily locating a favourite eg or currently in-use pane on a crowded screen

I am suggesting it would be good to have the option to be able to edit the actual colour of a panel itself which would be very useful for easily locating a favourite or currently in-use panel on a crowded screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Indesign CC: PDF Export dialog - start with highlighted range entry field - like you used to

Indesign CS6 used to start with a conveniently highlighted pages entry field. Opening the export dialog you were right away able to type in the desired page range. In CC you have to tripple-TAB to that field, which is a mild but unnecessary deterioration.

Thanks if you fix this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Properties Panel - reintroduce spinners - and photoshops mousedrag controls

Indesign CC2019 (oct):

The old control panel had up-/down spinners for each transform input box. In the new properties panel the spinners are missing, probably for a slimmer width of the panel. That's bad, they were handy and we are all used to them, especially for shift-clicking to scale/move in increments.

Please put them back.

Idea: please also make the icons of input boxes behave like Photoshops inputs, that you can mouse-drag to increase/decrase values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Recent File Pane Improvement: Open Multiple files at once

The Recent Files Dialog needs a way to select and open multiple files at once — whether it be the ability to drag a selection shape (useful for selecting a few files that are physically close to each other) or shift-clicking to select multiple files (as you would in the Finder) or ticking small checkboxes in the bottom-right of each thumbnail.

In the latter two cases, if multiple files are selected, the "Open" button could then be used to open the select files, as opposed to launching the open file dialog.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Left hand scroll bar navigation

Option to move scroll bar navigation to the left hand side. Left handed users who use tablets (on-screen pen editing) cannot scroll down pages without blocking whole screen. Microsoft offers this feature when adding right-to-left language. Firefox allows this feature. I realise lefties are not a huge proportion of users, but if you include right-to-left language users, it provides a vaue-add.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Edit Styles/Access Style Options dialog from Properties panel

It is easy to create a new style via the Properties panel, but cumbersome to edit styles.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Zoom to selection is not using enough screen real estate

when using shortcut shift-cmd-= to perform a zoom to selection, the object is being centred, which is good, but the zoom view is too small given that there're just too many spaces being left around the object.

Ideally, when zoom to selection this will snugly fit the object just into the window, which I found an interesting coincidence. Say for example, theres an object thats being set to zoom to selection, and the zoom level of it is 30.7% (and just feel how small the object would look on screen at this level), then you multiply this number by 2,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Workspace Issues with every document

Using 2019 Adobe InDesign on Mac OS Mojave

Whenever I open a new document, or open a recent document, my workspace panels on the left disappears every time. It never happened in 2018. It's quite annoying having to reset the workspace with every document opened. Please fix. Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base