2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

709 results found

1. Full-width space is treated the same as Kanji

I've been using InDesign in a Japanese environment and have long been frustrated by the lack of distinction between kanji and double-byte spaces.
    When you want to select consecutive Kanji by double-clicking (or command + → etc.), adjacent double-byte spaces (0x3000) will be selected together.
    When you receive an unsatisfactory text manuscript, double-clicking a wasted double-byte space will select the adjacent kanji together.
    I can't imagine the single benefit of this specification. It's just inconvenient.
    I would like you to improve this.
    I hope you will get the approval of everyone. Thank you.

<Japanese>
    私はInDesignを日本語環境で使用していて、漢字と全角スペースの区別がついていないことを長年不満に思っています。
    ダブルクリック(あるいはcommand + →など)で連続した漢字を選択したいとき、隣接する全角スペース(0x3000)が一緒に選択されてしまう。
    美しくないテキスト原稿を受け取ったとき、無駄な全角スペースをダブルクリックすると隣接する漢字まで一緒に選択されてしまう。
    この仕様について、ただ1つのメリットも想像できません。ただ不便なだけです。…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. RTL support in Adobe Composer (not Adobe World-Ready Composer)

Adobe's Ready World Composer is designed to provide a solution for RTL languages, such as Hebrew and Arabic. But lots of InDesign features don't work at all. (OpenType by Frame, Flush Space, Optical Margin Aligment and more ...)
    Instead of fixing this composer, I suggest that the regular composer also will support RTL writing.

441 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Thesaurus

Hi
    I have just spent 1.5 hours on a chat with your team re using a thesaurus function in InDesign (which there isn't one)
    In design is a great product and amazingly intuitive with (almost) all the functions you need to create great documents however to use a simple function like a thesaurus I need to export to a .icml thingy which creates individual files for every chapter or section (filling up my files). Then you have to open each section individually in InCopy, which then creates a document that looks more like a 80' dot-matrix print out with no…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Need to add a Haitian Creole dictionary to InDesign

Hello all;

At HistoryMiami Museum, we produce a lot of material in the three most spoken languages in our community, English, Spanish and Haitian Creole, following the Miami-Dade County government best practices. InDesign has already incorporated dictionaries in English and Spanish. We are looking for a comprehensive Haitian Creole dictionary to add to InDesign, for spellcheck purposes. We would appreciate any help with this matter. Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Include possibility to switch writing direction for Hebrew and Arabic in all language versions, not just the ME one.

I am using the Swedish version of InDesign CC and sometimes need to be able to write in Hebrew. But the possibility to change writing direction is only available in the Middle Eastern version, which changes all menus and panels into English. I want to be able to keep all menus and panels in Swedish, but still be able to switch writing direction for Hebrew (and Arabic). I suggest that you include this possibility in all language versions, not just the ME one, so that the original local language can still be used in the user interface.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Would it be possible to add the font "bauhaus 93" ?

Would it be possible to add bauhaus 93 to the font list?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Option to add Conditional Text to Paragraph/Character Styles

Would be extremely useful if you could automatically add a condition by applying a paragraph or character style (via data merge or an external Data Management System) to text without having to do a GREP find/change. Would make producing different versions more practical.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add Alert When Missing Fonts are Replaced with Enabled Adobe Fonts

When working in a packaged file workflow, where Adobe Fonts are not and cannot used, if there is a missing font that a user might already have enabled in Adobe Fonts, InDesign makes a font replacement with no warning.

There is an alert to activate missing fonts, but no warning if missing fonts are already activated in the user's system. I’m not sure if you could limit this to: If there is a Document fonts folder present, then there should be an alert before fonts are replaced with Adobe Font versions. This should not effect if fonts are enabled in…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change character in default font

I'm looking for a way to change a character in my default font. I use the font family Proxima Nova (an Adobe font, what I have activated). In InDesign you can choose between two character for the letter 'a'. There I can change the font with find glyph en replace it for the other one.

It would be awesome to set that letter 'a' as a default 'a' in that typefont. Because this is an extra action I make for all my designs. Is there a way to change a character and set it as my default character in that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Touch type tool for Opentype feature does not show up while setting the paragraph in "Adobe World-Ready Single-line/ Paragraph Composer"

Touch type tool for Opentype feature does not show up while setting the paragraph in "Adobe World-Ready Single-line/ Paragraph Composer". The script, in this case, found while using Thai with the Opentype font with alternate glyphs.

We can access the feature, but have to go through the top right hamburger conner to select the stylistic set manually. It is disturbing work-flow while typing in bilingual languages; Thai and Latin.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Default text box to "Formatting Affects Text" rather than "Formatting Affects Container".

If a Text box uses all the same color of text within, upon direct selecting the box it should default to an active "Formatting Affects Text" rather than "Formatting Affects Container". Or give me the option to make this the default in Preferences. Pressing (J) before each and every swatch click to trigger this formatting is tedious and unnecessary.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exclude specified paragraph or character style/s from spellcheck

Allow us to exclude from the spellcheck text with a specific paragraph or character style/s applied to it.

2 possible ways:
    1. a tick box in the paragraph or character style settings to say 'exclude from spellcheck'
    or 2. a field in the spellcheck window where you could nominate which styles to exclude.
    I think the first option would be the better one. it may be a good idea to have with it an alert in preflight 'these styles have been excluded from spellcheck:...' in case the box is left ticked accidentally.

This way we can exclude things like product…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Table of Contents - Limit to subject lines to Character Style, option

Currently, the TOC will display an entire paragraph of text based on the Paragraph Style. I've assigned a unique Character style to give distinction to the first two sentences of the paragraph using Nested Styles within the Paragraph Style.

In the attached example, you'll see that "Subject 1. Setup." has a distinct Character style, this is the only text that I want to appear in the TOC. Perhaps there's a way to accomplish this. But It would be nice to have the option to populate text based on Character Style only.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Keyboard shortcut to adjust paragraph indents

I'd like to be able to quickly adjust the left, right, first and last line indents of my paragraph using a Quick Apply or a custom keyboard shortcut.

I find it strange that it doesn't already exist, given the countless other basic adjustments available in the shortcuts panel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. We need "smart" title case in the change case menu

We need smart title case, with prepositions and conjunctions not capitalized. It's ridiculous that a script or third-party plug-in is required. This is a publishing program! InDesign can create a table of contents—it should be able to do it correctly.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. index tag with formatting

Make it possible to insert character formatting (italics, superscript, character style sheets) within the tag for the index.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Import Text Variables using .csv

Currently the only way I can see to import a list of text variables is via another .indd. It's tedious to manage a ~10,000 text variables (prices in a catalogue) within the text variable window in InDesign. It would be great to manage these variables in Excel and then be able to import the .csv into InDesign, to change the variables instantly.

The import table feature is a good way to do this, but only if the prices are displayed in a table. My prices are all separate text frames.

Thanks
    Nick

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Letter spacing for initial letter in a textbox

Please give the ability to set a negative letter spacing for the initial letter in a textbox. Currently letter spacing is only possible between letters.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improvements to "space between" feature

Hello, InDesign people!

The new "space between paragraphs using the same style" feature is a wonderful thing, and it is useful, but I feel it could be improved upon. In practice, there may be several different paragraph styles that should be regarded as the "same style" for this purpose. For instance, say I am designing a book with poetry extracts (block quotes) mixed into the main text. Before we had the "space between" feature, I had to make a paragraph style for the first line of a poem (with space before), a second style for the subsequent lines (no paragraph…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base