2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

294 results found

1. Choose directory when exporting as separated single PDF files

When exporting to PDF as single page separated files, add the ability to choose a directory and then to check which file to replace or ignore as in export for the web feature in Photoshop…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Keyboard shortucts for export presets / forget last export format

In a fast-paced, pdf-only workflow, having files remember their last export format is a frustrating hindrance! An option/preference to NOT do that would be great! AND/OR... the ability to add a keyboard shortcut to specific export formats that would override any previous settings would be ideal!!

(Apologies if that's all already doable. If it is, someone please enlighten me!)

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Datamerge export as PDF/VT or other variable print file format (such as VPS)

I use the datamerge function alot to create variable print products such as letters with names and address etc. I also use variable graphivs too. The problem is that when I have an 80,000 run the PDF files and ripping times are getting longer and longer. Ideally I want to be able to export as a PDF/VT file format or a VPS. This will mean that instead of sending the graphics 80,000 times to the RIP of the printer it will instead send the graphic once and the data and graphics are assembled as it prints. There are external plugins…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Crops Marks should automatically offset the same distance as the bleed

I does not make any sense that the default offset for crop marks is less than .125" There isn't a finishing trim method that can use crop marks closer than that. The default 0.0833 in setting is useless for production. It only causes problems and renders the bleed virtually useless.

I work in grand format print and the problem is far worse. We require .5" or 2" bleed consistently for gallery wraps, museum exhibits etc. We constantly get pdfs from clients where the bleed is 2" but the crop marks are only 0.0833" away from the page size. This renders…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Integrate PDF comments directly with Document Cloud 'Send for Review'

Currently it's very effective to download a PDF from Document Cloud after using the Acrobat DC 'Send for Review' and then import the comments into InDesign using the PDF comments panel.

It would be great to cut out the Acrobat round-trip and have InDesign export a file for review directly to Document Cloud, and then automatically add the reviewers comments back into the ID workspace.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. background tasks - interactive pdfs

I'm trying to export documents to interactive PDF, the option is only available via File > Export and seems to force the process into the foreground.

Please allow Interactive PDFs to be scheduled for creation via a background task so that I can continue to work in other documents.

I also support the concept of creating these via a toggle on/off option as per:
    https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37167682-background-task-toggle-on-off

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Adobe PDF Presets / Transparency Flattener Presets " Convert Text To Outlines" Feature Not Working

In all previous versions of Illustrator and InDesign, when saving a PDF, I have been able to set my PDF settings to convert all text to outlines by checking "Convert All Text To Outlines" in my Adobe PDF preset. Since my recent update to 23.0.3, this feature is no longer working properly. The setting is still an option, however, upon save/export of the PDF, text is not converted to outlines as it previously was.

I have reached out to customer support for this issue and have been informed that this issue is "expected behavior of the software".

How is this…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Path elements as Artifact

To create an accessible PDFs it’s essential to either tag relevant content or mark irrrelevant content as Artifact. In InDesign you can use the object export options to mark an object as “Artefact”.

So far so good, however any path elements from tables or underlined/strikethrough text are not marked at all. Obviously, those always need to be marked as an Artifact. InDesign should do this automatically during the pdf export process. Please fix that, it’s extremly time consuming to fix that manually in Acrobat.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Custom SECURITY when creating presets for exporting PDFs.

Let us customize SECURITY when creating presents for exporting PDFs. My current workflow would be EIGHT less steps!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remember last export format

The recently released feature to remember export settings and have them stick with individual documents was a good concept, but it has not been fully implemented.

As it stands, all it remembers is the 'type' of file that was exported – which in most cases is pretty pointless. I'm sure people know when they export their file whether it needs too be an EPS or a PDF.

What I thought the feature was going to be was something that remembered the complete export settings – for example with a print PDF it could keep the info relating to compression settings,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Still need MORE design options Forms via InDesign

This is still a current problem, it has been posted before but CLEARLY many people still have this frustrating problem that InDesign cannot preform the ENTIRE task of design and execution of an interactive form without the use of Acrobat. Specifically text colour and alignment/positioning in field.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow to export interactive PDF with CMYK colorspace, or allow to include interactive elements into printable PDF

This feature is highly needed. And after all, it makes no sense: PDF format supports both interactive forms and CMYK tagged graphics, but for some reason it's impossible to combine PDF text boxes with CMYK graphics.
    My current project, for example, needs a batch of interactive documents in which worker must fill necessary fields every day AND then print few thousands of copies. This operation must be performed manually and frequently.
    And instead of creating single PDF with text box I'm forced to recreate required PDF with necessary data. It's illogical and meaningless.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Open hyperlinks in new tab

You could update the software with the function to open hyperlinks in new tab within PDFs and other formats. This is very necessary.

78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. More error information when exporting to PDF

Problem Description: There are some times when exporting to a PDF, the dialogue box will show there is an error which results in no PDF being created. That is all the information we get and therefore have to guess what the problem is. Some more information would be useful.

When exporting an interactive PDF, I noticed that you get far more information when the PDF is being created.

If we had this information added to the Background Tasks when exporting a normal PDF, it would give us a clue what page is causing the problem.

I've attached a screenshot to…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Background Task Toggle on/off

The Background Task hangs when making a PDF. Add a toggle on/off of the Background Tasks to force a foreground PDF export. This has been an issue for many years and still isn't corrected!

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Export All Alternate Layouts as PDFs With Layout Name

I use the alternate layout tool a lot to group different sized content in the same InDesign file.

While I know I can select the layout as a range during export, it would be a huge timesaver to be able to export all of my layouts as separate PDFs and then just add the alternate layout name to the end of the PDF file.

Ideally this could be a check box in the export settings "export each alternate layout as a separate file"

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. PDF Export Formatting Issue

I found that no matter what export options I use or how I format my file, it exports incorrectly. My content is in 2 columns on InDesign but when exported it seems pretty random how the PDF is structured (see the image).

This poses a problem for parsing software to be able to read the document in the correct order. It's common practice within most companies to use this for resumes. I'm sure it's also used elsewhere as well.

I've contacted support and they tried to resolve the issue by using my computer remotely. They found that this feature is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Black only crops

When printing or exporting to a pdf file for print, can we have an option of black only crop marks. The reason is when we print to our Xerox Igen 4 and there is a mixture of color and black and white pages, the pages with just black text register as color because of the registration colored crop marks and on large runs it can add up to a lot of money. Thank you.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Extended PDF export features

To add a custom preset feature where you could export a duplicate PDF with crop marks as well as a clean PDF all in one saving action. There is a lot of times in my line of work where we need both options (one for print and one for archiving) purposes. As of right now I have to export 2 files separately. Having a preset where I could just check the box when exporting would greatly save time and effort each time we go to export.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base